BDO Matchlocks are special weapons that can only be used on <Wild> creatures. (There are PVP ones available that have different stats.)
Matchlocks are used to level the Hunting Life Skill and are equipped in your main and sub-weapon slots.
Most matchlocks can be enhanced to greatly improve their damage.
BDO Hunting Matchlock List
|Hunting Matchlock||Damage||+10 Enhancement Damage||Hunting Skill||Crafted||Crafted Matchlock Ingredients|
||0||can’t enhance||Beginner 1||uncraftable||costs 2 Contribution Points to rent from:
Daphne DelLucci (Balenos Forest)
Guild Manager Laiano Pietro (Velia)
General Goods vendor Hessenvale (Western Guard Camp)
||750||2250||Beginner 1||Level 1 Tool Workshop||
x1 Bronze Ingot
|[Event] Bobble Bobble Matchlock
||2100||can’t enhance||Beginner 1||Water Events||Water Events like “Mystical Ellie’s Water Festival” Quest: [Event] Matchlock Shooting Water? Give 10x Usable Scantling over 10 days.|
||900||2700||Beginner 10||Level 2 Tool Workshop|
||1050||3150||Apprentice 10||Level 2 Tool Workshop|
||1200||3600||Skilled 10||Level 3 Tool Workshop|
||1350||4050||Professional 10||Level 3 Tool Workshop|
[Hunting] Master Matchlock
|1650||4650||Artisan 10||Level 4 Tool Workshop||
x100 Thornwood Plank
x50 Nickel Ingot
x200 Black Stone Powder
Matchlock Enhancement Progression
To prevent wasting materials, the following is a good matchlock enhancement progression:
- Practice Matchlock: rent for 2 cp. The practice matchlock cannot be repaired. It must be returned to the npc and rented again to replenish the durability.
- [Event] Bobble Bobble Matchlock: Excellent beginner Matchlock that is almost equal to a +10 Beginner Matchlock, but can only be obtained for a limited time during water events. (Does not disappear after event ends.)
- Beginner Matchlock: If you don’t have [Event] Bobble Bobble Matchlock, this can be used at low levels for the hunting quests that you can’t use a practice matchlock for. Get one for free at level 30 by completing the quest Chuck Laurie the Hunter (no other requirements).
- Apprentice Matchlock (Beginner 10): During the hunting quest line you will reach Beginner 10, which will let you use this gun. I would recommend upgrading it to +3 or +4. This will give you a decent damage boost, and it will be cheap enough to not be a big hit to your budget. You will get one for free during the early stages of the Balenos Islands quest line from completing the quest Towards Marka Island. This quest line requires level 46+.
- Skilled Matchlock (Apprentice 10): You will get a +3 Skilled Matchlock from the main hunting questline from Return, the Next Legend, and Prelude to Hunting. This quest is at the end of the Balenos Islands quest line. I recommend enhancement to +5 or +6. (you don’t need to enhance this very high because you will soon get a professional matchlock, if you continue the quest line.)
- Professional Matchlock (Skilled 10): If you continue the hunting quest line that leads into Calpheon, after the Balenos Islands quest line, you will get a +5 Professional Matchlock from the quest Let’s Begin the Hunt. Enhance this to +10.
- Artisan Matchlock (Professional 10): You will get this for free as an achievement for reaching Artisan. +10
- Master Matchlock (Artisan 10): again +10
Matchlock Enhancement How To
Matchlocks can be enhanced with Black Stone (Weapon).
- You can upgrade matchlocks up to +10.
- Black Stone (Weapon) is used in all levels of matchlock Enhancement.
- There is always a chance of failure, unless “Force-Enhance” is selected.
- Enhancement failure costs 5 Durability (much more if “Force-Enhance” is selected)
- Cron Stones can NOT be used.
- Enhancement costs 1 Black Stone (Weapon) (much more if “Force-Enhance” is selected)
Black Stones can be obtained via rare drop from many different creatures. View Black Stone (Weapon) page and drop rates on bdocodex.com
Hunter’s Seals from boss fights and repeatable quests can be turned in for Black Stones. View our guide on Hunter’s Seals
Matchlock Failstack Recommendation
Many players use a failstack close to the below recommendation. However, you may not like the risky approach and would like to use higher failstacks, or even force enhancement, to avoid frustrating failures.
- +1 use 6+ fail stacks (maximum of 13)
- +2 use 8+ fail stacks (maximum of 14)
- +3 use 11+ fail stacks (maximum of 15)
- +4 use 11+ fail stacks (maximum of 16)
- +5 use 11+ fail stacks (maximum of 18)
- +6 use 15+ fail stacks (maximum of 20)
- +7 use 15+ fail stacks (maximum of 25)
- +8 use 25+ fail stacks (with a 3.9% base Enhancement Chance, consider Force-Enhance instead)
- +9 Force-Enhance (90 Blackstones +50 Durability cost)
- +10 Force-Enhance (120 Blackstones +55 Durability cost)
Matchlock Enhancement Chances & Costs
Below is a chart showing the enhancement chances of all matchlocks that can be enhanced. (Most can.) Yellow grade has the same difficulty as a beginner matchlock.
|Lvl||Enhancement Chance||Hunting Damage*||Force-Enhancement
Black Stone Cost
*The damage shows the current top tier yellow grade matchlock. ([Hunting] Master Matchlock)
Matchlocks can be easily obtained via the Marketplace and crafted in a Tool Workshop.
You can also get them by doing Hunting quests and via Achievements from leveling the Hunting Life Skill.
Daily hunting quests reward Hunter’s Tokens, which can be exchanged for matchlocks.