Courser Awakening can begin when a horse obtains a specific set of 7 skills. These skills are required in order to create a Dream Horse.
- 2.7 times greater price on the Horse Market.
- Potentially earn more horse skills from breeding.
- Start Courser Awakening to obtain a Dream Horse.
Coursers have a gold horse head icon.
The image shows a Courser horse on the bottom vs a normal horse, without a gold icon.
A T8 horse requires 7 Courser skills in order to start Courser Awakening to obtain a T9 Dream Horse.
T8 Courser Skills:
- Instant Accel
- S:Instant Accel
Each horse tier has their own requirement for Courser. The more tiers your horse has, the more skills are required.
Courser Skill Requirements by Tier
|Tier||Required Horse Skills for Courser|
|1 & 2||
|3 & 4||
Charge / Drift
|5 & 6||
Charge / Drift / Sprint
Charge / Drift / Sprint / Instant Accel / Sideways
Charge / Drift / Sprint / Instant Accel / Sideways / S:Instant Accel / S:Sideways
To view a detailed list of horse skill info, visit our BDO Horse Tiers, Skills, & Stats List.
Courser Skills UI
View the horse skills that are not yet learned by the mount when mousing over the horse icon.
T8 Horse Comparison
Base Stats for Tier 8 horses are shown in the chart.
- Horses with well-rounded stats are 8-7 and 8-1.
- 8-5 has the best Speed/Accel, but the worst Brake/Turn.
- 8-6 has the best Brake/Turn, but is last in Speed/Accel.
Some of the horse coat codes might be unfamiliar. They are from the old horse coat coding system from the community, before the game started to display its own codes.
Many training changes occured in the Sept 21, 2022 patch. Two new T8 coats were added and 2 T4 coats were upgraded to T8.
Thank you to bdolytics.com for the data values!
Horse Skill Gain Chances for T8
** Courser Skills
Horse Breeding with Coursers
When you breed two Coursers, you get a foal with 2 horse skills. If just one parent is a Courser, you only have a 50% chance of getting two skills.
Starting with 2 skills is a benefit because it increases your chances of obtaining an above normal amount of skills. Many low Tier horses struggle with learning 2 skills.
NOTE: performing Horse Exchange, instead of normal Horse Breeding of coursers produces foals with only one skill.
Training Level & Courser Skills
Training level can help you level up horses that have more skills, increasing your chances to obtain a courser.
Training Level Benefits:
- Increases the chance of your mount learning a new skill when your mount gains a level.
- Increases the chance of your mount gaining a minimal movement speed while gaining a level.
- Increases silver paid to you, when using the Horse Market or Breeding Market.
Courser Skill Training Methods
In order to start your goal in obtaining a Dream Horse, you will need a Courser with those 7 specific skills.
But how can you be sure to get the skills you need?
5 Horse Skill Options from Pearl Shop:
- Mount Skill Selection Coupon: 3100 Pearls to select the horse skill you want.
- Mount Skill Change Coupon: 250 Pearls for RNG horse skill.
- Premium Horse Appearance Change Coupon: 900 Pearls → “Your horse has a 30% chance to learn a new skill when the appearance changes. (Excludes S: Hind Kick, S: Fore Chop, S: Instant Accel, and S: Sideways) If the horse doesn’t learn a skill, it will gain 200,000 EXP instead. (Only a few select horses have a chance of learning the Two-Seater skill) Using this item does not change your mount’s breed.”
- Horse Gear: 2000 Pearls → 4 set effect +10% Skill Learn Chance. (+horse stats.)
- Mount Brand Spell Stone: 500 Pearls → Skill Learn Chance +10%, Reduces costs of horse recovery and gear repair.
The “Forechop Method” is one way trainers have attempted to secure a courser. This method claims to increase the amount of skills a horse can obtain, thereby increasing the chances you will get the Courser skill set.
Forechop Method Step by Step
- Level your T8 horse to level 15, checking its skill learn progress along the way.
- Make sure it has the skills most easy for it to learn like Fore Chop, Hind Kick, and Quick Back. This usually occurs before the horse reaches level 15.
- Make sure the T8 horse has at least 11 skills by level 15.
- If the horse has at least 11 skills and has reached level 15, begin to use “Forechop Method” on it.
- Each time the horse gains a new skill, use a Mount Skill Change Coupon at the Stable Keeper.
- Swap Forechop (or easy skill) into a skill that is more rare like S:Sideways and S: Instant Accel. (Fore Chop is easiest for most horses.)
- The skill you select will be replaced by a horse skill from your pool of unlearned skills. You don’t get to choose which skill you get.
- You may learn the skill you want… Look at the chart to see if it’s worth it to you. For example, S:Sideways has the lowest learn chance of all Courser Skills (0.225% for all Tier 8 horses)
- Pearl Shop price for a Mount Skill coupon is 250 Pearls for 1 or 2500 Pearls for 11 (Buy 10, get one free)
As you can see, RNG can work against you using this method. However, there is a kind of failstack system in place. Read more below.
Mount Skill Change Point
The success rates of changing a mount’s skills, when using the Mount Skill Change Coupon, are visible in the Manage Skill window at the <Stable Keeper>
Mount Skill Change Point Facts:
- The Skill Change Point stays the same even when you select a different Desired Skill
- The chance of learning the Desired Skill increases as the Skill Change Point increases
- Courser skills cannot be changed to other skills once a horse becomes a courser.
- Each rate reflects the Skill Change Point.
- Each rate is rounded up to the thousandths.
Mount Brand Spell Stone
Mount Brand Spell Stone gives +10% to horse skill learn chance, but it also has other benefits.
- Your mount must be checked in at the stable to use on horse.
- Reduces recovery costs by 30%.
- Reduces resurrection fee to 1,000 Silver.
- Decreases the durability consumption of mount gear by 50%.
- Your mount’s chance to learn a new skill improves by 10% each time it levels up. (This chance applies to all skills it has yet to learn.)
- Available for: Horse, Donkey, Camel, Miniature Elephant, Alpaca
- The effects of this item is not applied on guild mounts.
- Normal Pearl Shop Price: 500 Pearls