BDO Ships of higher tier, allow you to use ship skills. Many of these skills are powerful and make a big difference in sailing activities like sea battles, barter, and ocean travel.
The first 3 ship skills you obtain require Stamina.
Almost all ship skills require Rations to use.
Ship Skill Highlights:
- Ram – beginner Sailing skill that costs your ship Durability. Not as popular as it once was due to cost, sea monster nerfs, and higher tier ship cannon improvements.
- PowerAccel – a helpful ship skill to aid movement speed. Getting up to full speed is much quicker with this skill.
- BreezySail – one of the most desired ship skills. It dramatically increases the speed of your ship, allowing you to travel much faster to your destination.
Ship skills can’t be used, when your ship has 0 Durability, 0 Rations, or is at max weight.
Each ship skill has a Sailing Life Skill level requirement. (Just need level 1 of each tier. Example: Skilled 1 for BreezySail)
|Ship Skill Description||Ration||Stam||Key||Skill
It is like horse instant accel for ships. Makes the ship rush forward for 5 seconds. Stops the ship for a couple seconds afterwards. Damage is done at the end or back of the ram animation. 20,000 Durability per sucessful hit. Max 9 hits.
|3700||10||Q + Sailing||Beginner|
It is like horse start accel. Use when standing still to instantly speed up for a short time.
|5500||64||Space + W||Apprentice|
At full speed, gives a temporary speed improvement for 10 seconds. Like horse sprint skill for ships.
|8150||80||Shift + W||Skilled|
Makes sailing backwards faster
While sailing, quickly change direction
Turn faster while standing still (standby).
Cannon reload time shortened by 1 second
Ram Ship Skill
Ram skill makes your ship surge forward. It takes some time to master. The distance between you and the target is important, as Ram does its damage at the end of the Ram animation.
TIP: press Q again to stop the Ram animation, when you are over the enemy.
TIP: Optimal Ram range is seen via the mini map. Aim for when the enemy is just inside the radar circle.
Each Ram hit costs 20,000 Durability. Up to a maximum of 180,000 Durability for 9 successful hits.
Ram Skill Damage
Ram damage is determined by the ship you are using, with higher tier battle ships, doing significantly more damage.
Using the table below, we see the highest tier ship (Carrack) does 30% increased damage against a tier 1 ship (Bartali). Table Source: Official Patch Notes
|Attacking Ship vs. Ship receiving damage||Old Bartali Sailboat||Galley||Epheria Sailboat||Epheria Frigate||Bartali Sailboat||Improved Epheria Sailboat||Epheria Caravel||Improved Epheria Frigate||Epheria Galleass||Epheria Carrack|
|Old Bartali Sailboat||–||–||–||–||–||5% ↓||15% ↓||10% ↓||20% ↓||30% ↓|
|Galley||–||–||–||–||–||5% ↓||15% ↓||10% ↓||20% ↓||30% ↓|
|Epheria Sailboat||–||–||–||–||–||5% ↓||15% ↓||10% ↓||20% ↓||30% ↓|
|Epheria Frigate||–||–||–||–||–||5% ↓||15% ↓||10% ↓||20% ↓||30% ↓|
|Bartali Sailboat||–||–||–||–||–||5% ↓||15% ↓||10% ↓||20% ↓||30% ↓|
|Improved Epheria Sailboat||5% ↑||5% ↑||5% ↑||5% ↑||5% ↑||–||9.5% ↓||4.7% ↓||14.3% ↓||23.8% ↓|
|Epheria Caravel||15% ↑||15% ↑||15% ↑||15% ↑||15% ↑||9.5% ↑||–||4.5% ↑||4.3% ↓||13% ↓|
|Improved Epheria Frigate||10% ↑||10% ↑||10% ↑||10% ↑||10% ↑||4.7% ↑||4.5% ↓||–||9% ↓||18% ↓|
|Epheria Galleass||20% ↑||20% ↑||20% ↑||20% ↑||20% ↑||14.3% ↑||4.3% ↑||9% ↑||–||8% ↓|
|Epheria Carrack||30% ↑||30% ↑||30% ↑||30% ↑||30% ↑||23.8% ↑||13% ↑||18% ↑||8.3% ↑||–|
BreezySail is a huge improvement in ship sailing time. You can select “Continuously Use BreezySail” checkbox on the ship’s UI, which helps speed your ship even more. The only annoyance, is the game does not remember your preference, so you have to make sure it is checked each time you grab the ship’s wheel.
TIP: You can use BreezySail AFK: check “Continuously Use BreezySail” and the ship will automatically get up to full speed and use BreezySail in the direction it is pointed, without you having to keep your forward key pressed. If you have right clicked the world map and there is an auto-path, it will attempt to follow that.
- the most expensive Ship Skill that quickly eats up Rations (bring lots of food to restore if you are using this frequently and are venturing far from a <Wharf Manager>
- Requirements: Skilled Lv. 1 or above in Sailing, Ship Durability 50% or higher, mount inventory weight less than 100%
- 100% Stamina with manual BreezySail (this may be a bug?)
- 80% Stamina when “Continuously Use BreezySail” option is checked
- Ship must be at full speed. (This is tricky to determine. Full speed can be a snail’s pace if you are going against a 50 Current. Checking “Continuously Use BreezySail” will eventually get you to full speed automatically.)
- You can use AbruptTurn skill while using BreezySail and PowerAccel.
Sources & Additional Info
- Info searches on bddatabase.net
- Great Expedition Guide Google Doc – Thank you to BDO family name: Airie (SEA), Akiri (Global-Lab), Discord: Kiri Airie#6217
- Official BDO The Launch of a Great Expedition
- Official BDO The Great Expedition Update
- BDO Sailing/Vell Discord – talk and chat web app for everything Sailing