BDO Worker Promotion is used to upgrade a worker’s rank and improve his speed and performance. When a worker increases in grade, his main stats also increase.
Worker Promotion Improved Stats:
- Movement Speed
Access the “All Worker List” window by clicking the Pickaxe icon in the user interface.
Click the “Promotion Information” tab on the right.
Workers that have available promotions will have a number and a highlighted Promote button.
Every worker rank can have a maximum of 3 possible promotion chances, depending on how many levels they have obtained with you. (Purchasing workers at the market does not reset the max promotions. Marketplace workers may have 0 to 3 available promotions already.)
Worker rank is also known as worker grade or worker tier.
Filter worker ranks by selecting the Grade drop down box.
Promoting a worker requires 24 hours, and if successful, he will be raised one rank.
For example, a blue Skilled Worker can be promoted to a yellow Professional Worker.
Worker Rank Order:
Naive > Normal > Skilled > Professional > Artisan
Worker Promotion Overview (Raising a Rank)
- higher level workers are easier to promote (Level 30 has better chances than a level 10 worker.)
- lower rank workers are easier to promote (Skilled workers have better promotion chances than Professional.)
- you can only promote one worker at a time
- we get only 3 total promotions per worker rank (1 Promotion Chance at levels 10, 20, and 30)
- promotions can be stacked and saved up until level 20 or even longer for better odds. Level 30 has the best odds, but requires significant time investment.
- successful promotion rerolls the worker, resetting all stats and removing all previous skills and promotion chances.
- promotion lowers a worker’s level to 1, but raises the grade by 1 improving base starting stats of Work Speed, Movement Speed, Luck, and Stamina
- promotion opens up the possibility of newer and better worker skills
|Promotion Test||Level 10
|Normal to Skilled Promotion||35%||55%||80%|
|Skilled to Professional Promotion||25%||35%||45%|
|Professional to Artisan Promotion||10%||20%||30%|
Worker Promotion Chance
This table from an anonymous BDO player, shows Worker Promotion chance.
It hasn’t been verified or tested by me. As with all things BDO, your luck may vary.
As far as I am aware, no one has published any other significant promotion data. If you have some promotion tests that you would like published, please comment!
Promote via Leveling
Worker Promotion requires you to level your workers. (Unless you purchase a worker from the Worker Exchange that has unspent promotion chances.)
When your worker completes a job (work cycle), he earns experience points based upon the following:
- Worker EXP Formula: Worker EXP = Job time(Minutes)*1.2 + 10
This EXP can be seen in each worker’s EXP bar located below his portrait, and as a percentage next to his level.
When a worker builds up enough experience points, he gains a level. He keeps gaining levels up to level 30.
After level 30, he continues to build experience, but it caps at 100% until it is used up in worker skill exchanges. 1 skill reset costs 50% of the EXP bar, allowing you to build up enough experience to reset skills two times at once.
Benefits of Leveling Workers:
- Increased Workspeed, Movement Speed, and Luck.
- Increases skills. Earn 1 skill at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30. At his final 30th level, he can begin to reset skills to try for ones that matter to you.
- Increased chance of obtaining a promotion.
- Higher worker sale price.
Worker Promotion Speed
Worker Promotion can take allot of time, depending upon how fast your worker levels.
Speeding up the rate that your worker levels, also increases the rate you can try to promote them.
Level workers faster on 1 tick (5 minute) craft jobs. For example, crafting fast crates in 5 minute jobs would earn better experience than gathering iron ore at a close node that takes 20 minutes to complete.
At a certain point, around the 45 minute job time mark, distance and job time fails to matter. So a 1 hour work cycle will level workers about the same as one 3 hour work cycle clear across the world.
- Worker EXP Formula: Worker EXP = Job time(Minutes)*1.2 + 10
Buying Worker Promotion with Pearls
The promotion process takes 24 hours to complete. The clock runs down and eventually completes even if you’re logged off.
If you want to see the results of your promotion attempt early, then you can spend real money to instantly complete a worker promotion.
The cost starts at 290 Pearls ($2.90) and lowers as time passes.
It does NOT guarantee a promotion.
Worker Ranks (Grade or Tiers)
Workers have 5 different grades that show us their rarity and strength. Worker grades are shown by the color of their name. In BDO, the best worker grade of Artisan is colored orange…
- Artisan – the best worker tier and most difficult to obtain. Keep this fella if you get lucky on seeing one! Normally you have to go through the Promotion process to get an Artisan worker. You can sometimes get lucky at the Worker Exchange. (Work Supervisor’s Worker Exchange button). Reportedly, it takes about 1.8k energy (360 rolls) to obtain one. (less than 1% chance.)
- Professional – more common than Artisan, but still requires a very lucky roll. I like to roll new workers at the Work Supervisor until I get at least this grade. (Last try cost me 1040 energy, but then got the next one with 100 energy) Highly RNG!
- Skilled – try not to hire anyone below this grade. Skilled grade is where you really start to see big improvement in worker stats at level 30. Skilled workers and above can be sold at the Work Supervisor. (Click Worker Exchange then Register.)
- Normal – most common tier, but has significantly lower stats than Skilled workers. Until you gain more Knowledge, which increases your energy, you might have to settle for this at first.
- Naive – poor stats! Click View Another button.
Worker Leveling Info
- for levels 1 up to 12, all grades require the same EXP
- at level 12+, higher tier workers require more EXP
- after hitting max level 30, all tiers require the same EXP (30,000 EXP) for skill resets
- Workers average 132 XP/Hour (minimum: 72 to maximum: 192 EXP/Hour)
- 35 days to level an Artisan to 30
- 4.7 days to earn a skill reset for all grades
- Named workers require the same EXP as Skilled
- Naive workers require the same EXP as Normal
Worker XP Tables
The following worker xp tables show how much experience is required to fill up that level to gain the next level. For example, a level 1 requires 30 experience points to progress to level 2. This is shown in the lv1 column.
|Total EXP Required for level 10 = 1,111 EXP|
|Average time to achieve level 10 = 8.4 Hours|
|Total Artisan EXP Required for level 10 to 20 = 10,183 EXP|
|Average Artisan time for level 10 to 20 = 77.1 Hours (3.2 days)|
|Average Artisan time for level 1 to 20 = 85.5 Hours (3.5 days)|
|Total Artisan EXP Required for level 20 to 30 = 99,925 EXP|
|Average Artisan time for level 20 to 30 = 757 Hours (31.5 days)|
|Average Artisan time for level 1 to 30 = 842.5 Hours (35.1 days)|
|Average time for each 50% EXP Skill Reset: 113.6 Hours (4.7 days)|
My Promotion Strategy
If my worker is Professional grade, I usually wait until he is level 30 to promote, because the odds are better, even though it takes forever to get from 20 to 30.
Many players promote workers at level 20, then sell if they fail twice. But in my mind, Professionals aren’t so easy to come by.
Skilled workers I usually avoid, but if I do have one, I save the promotions until level 20.
What’s your favorite promotion strategy?
Sources & Additional Info
- GrumpyG Worker Guides:
- bdocodex.com database searches
- THANK YOU…
This guide used worker experience data posted by ryu1313 on Reddit. Cheers to an awesome BDO player! Gimme more. *nom nom* View his Reddit post.