Farming in BDO can be a very profitable Life Skill, if you enjoy it. Be wealthy AND adventurous wrangling a deadly wild mole while tending cabbages! Sound fun yet? 🙂
NOTE: Teasing about the deadly mole part! 🙂 He’s almost too cute and cuddly to wack. 🙁
So lets look at how much money you can earn farming!
Farming is very versatile in how you can earn silver. To get the full benefits, you will need 100 Contribution to rent 10 Strong Fences.
Farming for Silver – 3 Primary Methods:
- Breeding Magical Seeds
- Harvest crops for the Marketplace
- Harvest crops, then craft crates via Workers
- use farming byproducts to make Stonetail Fodder (sell on the Marketplace or use to make Dream Horse)
- Fruits are either sold at Market or turned into something even more profitable via Alchemy.
Farming Profit via Harvesting
Harvesting Magical Seeds, instead of breeding all the crops, can be the most profitable, depending upon the crop and Marketplace demand.
Magical Seed Harvest:
- Harvest after you have bred enough to replant. (Harvest 1 out of 3 crops)
- often, this is the most profitable way to farm.
- price fluctuations, supply, and demand on Marketplace is more important
- careful you don’t harvest all your seeds so you have something to plant! (Magical Seeds can’t be bought.)
- Value Pack is important to reduce Marketplace tax
- get less Stonetail Fodder and Fruits
Farming Profit via Magical Seeds
The easiest way to make money via Farming is by breeding Magical Seeds.
Magical Seed Breeding:
- sell extra Magical Seeds to any vendor
- Obtaining Magical Seeds:
- requires Artisan 1 Farming level
- breed Special Seeds (RNG chance to obtain 1)
- breed Magical Seeds (obtain 1 to 3)
Farming Profit via Crop Crates
If you are also interested in the Trading Life Skill, you can craft crates after harvesting your crops, instead of selling the crops on the Marketplace.
- Trading level influences money earned
- Artisan 2 Trade gives a desert trading buff (+50% silver)
- need extra CP for worker lodging and crate workshop housing “Crop Factory”
- requires additional wait time as worker makes the crates
- additional effort and time to transport the crates to the furthest Trade Manager.
- Crates are the least popular method, because the other two methods are usually more profitable and because of the added effort.
- Value Pack has no impact on crate earnings.
Crop Crates require a Black Stone Powder for each one made.
Crop Factory can be purchased as cheap as 1 Contribution Point. A good example is Balenos 2-1 inside Finto Farm node, east of Velia.
Farming Byproducts can be used to make Stonetail Fodder.
Stonetail Fodder is used to create the Dream Horse, Arduanatt.
This is usually more profitable, but you may have bad luck and it takes extra effort in obtaining a Courser.
Our Farming Spreadsheet shows the profit from selling Stonetail Fodder at the Marketplace, but you may want to consider going after Arduanatt instead!
Stonetail Fodder – use Simple Cooking on farming byproducts from plant breeding.
2 sets of any of the below produce 1-3 Stonetail Fodder:
• 20x Premature Fruit
• 20x Seed Half Eaten by Bird
• 20x Unusual Fruit
• 20x Plant with Rotting Roots
1,000 byproducts are needed for 100% if you average 2 procs.
Farming Fruits are obtained when you breed your crop, instead of harvesting it.
Magical Seeds have a higher chance of dropping Fruits.
Mysterious Seeds give 3 to 4 Fruits only and nothing else when bred.
- Combine 5 base Mysterious Seeds with 1 Magical Seed to obtain 5 Mysterious Seeds.
- Combine 1 base Mysterious Seed with 1 Special Seed to obtain 1 Mysterious Seed.
Fruits can be very profitable, if you use them in Alchemy.
Farming Fruit Current Price & Demand
Price is max price available. Price and quantity listed is updated every 30 minutes.
When choosing a crop to farm, pay attention to the Fruit it produces from Breeding.
Farming Fruit price and demand can fluctuate with events, but there are a few that are consistently pre-ordered on the Marketplace.
- Fruit of Nature: most popular
- currently at max developer price of 138,000
- worth much more if used in alchemy
- Oil of Fortitude
- Spirit Perfume Elixir
- Fruit of the Sun:
- Oil of Corruption
Fruits Obtained From Breeding Crops
|Fruit of the Sun
|Fruit of Abundance
|Fruit of Perfection
|Fruit of Magic Power
Fortune Teller Mushroom
|Fruit of Crimson Flame
|Fruit of Destruction
|Fruit of Enchantment
||Dry Mane Grass
Fire Flake Flower
Silk Honey Grass
|Fruit of Nature
Farming Time Impacts Profit
Another factor to consider when choosing a crop to farm is the amount of time it will take to grow.
If you are a very active farmer, this will be very important. If you only like to farm twice a day, then it doesn’t matter.
Typical Farming Times:
- most crops grow to 100% in about 3 to 5 hours
- to earn more profit, focus on crops that grow faster
- Ferilizer becomes important for very active Farmers. (reduces grow time by 40% to 60%)
For details on growth time of crops, please visit our Farming Spreadsheet.
Best Profitable Crops to Farm
Purply Hypha Bubba Gump?
One popular choice is Purple Mushroom. This is one of the quickest growing crops that also gives Fruit of Nature. (2 hours 45 minutes.)
Potato Potato For the Win! 🙂
Personally, I like to farm Potato. It also gives Fruit of Nature. It is not the quickest growing crop, but I don’t like to feel time pressured in BDO. I also like to cook and have hungry workers to feed with the Potato!! 🙂
The best crop for you will be the one that best fits your play style. There are so many options. A big factor will be wether you enjoy Alchemy or Cooking.
For Profit & Convenience & Fishing:
- Many players use an area west of Velia for their farming location.
- It is just north of the Loggia Farm node.
- The Velia fishing hotspot is nearby for over night waiting on the crops to grow. 🙂
Location for Leveling Farming
For leveling the Farming Life Skill to Artisan 1 or more, I recommend planting Dry Mane Grass in the swamps south of Heidel. The high humidity will cause the crops to have more problems and you will need to tend to them more often.