Ready to brave the forests and tame your very first wild horse? Be careful though! Those horses are mean and down right hangery and.. mean!!
Better bring some sugar to sweeten them up!
And you best not enter unprepared!
But don’t worry, this horse taming guide will help you, by showing you the ropes. 🙂 *laugh*
Why Should I Tame Horses?
So you’re wondering, “What? Tame my own horse? But there are a billion up on the Horse Market for sale. Easy win for me!”
But no! Easy loose for you, because you’re an uber tamer!
- Taming Gives Greater Training EXP
- You can earn Training EXP through riding your horse, but this would take a long time and can be boring. Most trainers AFK train overnight and tame during the day.
- Less Silver Cost
- High on hope, but low in silver? Taming saves you silver because you are gathering a resource for free and not buying horses from someone else.
- Greater Enjoyment
- Taming allows you to be completely self sufficient. You don’t have to purchase horses on the Horse Market. It gives you a sense of accomplishment when you can start from nothing and end up with a sprawling Horse Ranch all on your own.
Horse Taming Requirements
2 items used in horse capturing:
- Capturing Rope: You’re gonna need lots of these
- Lump of Raw Sugar: (Need 1 per horse.)
Purchase Capturing Ropes for 1.5k each at any <Stable Keeper>, inside their shop.
Be careful purchasing too many at a time because they weigh 0.7 LT each. Ooof!!
Every horse taming attempt will consume 1 Capturing Rope (regardless of if you succeed or fail).
You can purchase Raw Sugar Lump on the Marketplace for about 2.5k.
You can also craft your own via Processing.
Processing (L) > Heating:
- 10 Raw Sugar
- 1 Mineral Water
These are available at Cooking vendors. Click the Find NPC button, then the turkey icon.
How to Tame a Horse: Step by Step
- Drag and drop the Capturing Ropes and Lumps of Raw Sugar onto your hotkey bar.
- Approach the horse, but don’t get too close.
- If you get too close it will run away.
- With practice, you will learn the correct distance.
- Press the hotkey for your Capturing Rope to equip it.
- Wait to equip the rope until you are close because it slows your movement speed
- Line up your cross hairs with the horse until it turns red.
- Press LMB
- If you are successful, the first minigame will appear. Press space when the bar is in the blue. (Very similar to the fishing mini-game)
- Approach the horse until you see the horse rear up and a SPACE button icon appear.
- Rapidly hit your Space bar as quick as you can.
- The goal is to get the pointer towards the horse icon on the right. You have 10 seconds to get the pointer over to the right, or you will fail taming.
- If you are successful, then you can approach again, but you will probably have to do it more than once.
- Once you get all the way to the horse, use 1 sugar lump from your hotkey bar, and then try to mount the horse.
- From official site: “If the wild horse is on uneven and rough terrain, the probability of taming it is significantly lowered. Also, you can feed the wild horse more Lumps of Raw Sugar to increase the probability, but it maxes out at around four to five Lumps of Raw Sugar” source
- From official site: “You will now only need to feed a wild horse 1 lump of raw sugar to successfully tame it.” source
- If you’ve succeeded, take the horse back to a <Stable Keeper> to register it. You don’t get any Training xp until the horse is registered.
- You don’t have to ride the newly tamed horse to the <Stable Keeper>. Because it is still very slow, you can dismount and ride the faster horse that you brought to the taming location. Newly tamed horses are slow, but they will follow you. Even if they get left behind, while you ride away, they will eventually teleport to your location.
- If you failed the second mini-game, the horse will run away. Repeat from step 2 to try taming again.
It can be challenging at first, but keep at it and you will master horse taming.
You can only tame one horse at a time.
Horse Taming Images
Equip a Capturing Rope and get close to the horse, but not so close that it runs away from you.
After you successfully rope the horse, move forward towards it.
Stop moving forward, when you see a Space bar icon appear.
Press Space Bar repeatedly as fast as you can. The bar has to be almost fully red up to the horse icon, when the 10 second timer expires.
When you finally reach him, feed him Lumps of Raw Sugar.
Throw your Capturing Rope!
Quickly mash your spacebar to overcome the wild horse!
Best Horse Taming Location
A tier 7 gives the same amount of Training EXP as a tier 6, but tier 7 horses are worth more silver and are easier to breed into Tier 8 horses.
But if you’re only interested in taming for Training levels, then you are better off with a rotation that will not be so popular.
Popular locations are more likely to be empty of horses, since the respawn time is about 2 hours after capture.
Taming Rotations Outside Drieghan
Two other taming rotations are recommended to new trainers, but there are many choices.
The Port Epheria location has 6 spawn points, which are close to the <Stable Keeper>.
The other location is just SE of Glish, near Serendia Shrine.
Horse Taming Gear
A TET Loggia Accessory set and 2x Trainer’s Clothes will provide the following:
- Horse Capture Rate +30%
- Training EXP +41%
- Training Mastery +208 (will add an additional 2.56% more Horse Taming Success)
One of the Trainer’s Clothes would have to be converted into a Costume, so that it can be worn in the Appearance slot. (Equipment Tailoring Coupon)
You could do the Geranoa or Manos Life Mastery accessories, but that would be very expensive!